Monday, August 4, 2008

Playdoh, Puke, Prayer, Park, and Pizza on Sunday











Sunday morning Vanya woke up not feeling too well. We have a good idea it was the bratwurst from the night before. However, he did eat some fruits and drank some juice for breakfast. I thought a good way to cheer him up was to introduce him to Play-doh. He thought that it was fun and made some neat looking trees/mushroom thingees. See pics for what you'd call them!











Knowing we were going to our 11:00 church service, I gave him the car sick meds a good hour before. That was a wasted effort. Did I mention earlier that one of the host moms (whose husband is an ER doctor) told us to stock up on gallon-size Ziploc bags? Yeah, picture this-- Vanya filled one more than half full on the way to church! Let me also mention that my puny, weak stomach is sadly getting used to all of this fun stuff. He had great aim and didn't get any on his clothes. Woo hoo! But you'll be pleased to note that I am prepared now: we keep extra clothes in the car. Tim took him to the bathroom to wash up, and then he seemed good as new.

He was very patient during the service. I considered putting him in one of the children's classes, but since he wouldn't be able to understand anyone, I thought he'd do better with us. I brought along some simple ABC and animal books which kept him occupied throughout the service. I also let him write on the back of the bulletin insert (sorry, Pastor Stan!!!) and he had a great time copying words out of the books. His favorite part of church was the cookies and juice in our community room afterwards. We introduced him to our Pastor, and I just had to take a picture.

After church, (no puke on the way home) he did not want much lunch, and he kept putting his head on the table. We asked if he wanted to take a nap, and he was half-way to his room before we heard the DA! (yes!) He took a good 2-hour nap. Let me mention here that Tim made great use of this time: he also took a nap!!!!! I was a good mom; I did laundry and folded clothes.

Then, after Vanya and Tim's nap, we took him to the big park behind our YMCA where we met the family of one of my students. Most of the Haverhill staff will recognize these two smiling faces! (Again, no puking on the way to the park.) He loved the park' s playground equipment and his newest friends. They ran and ran and ran, chasing each other, hiding from each other, and generally having a great time. It took several tries to encourage him, but Vanya finally went down the curvy slide. Then there was no stopping him; I think he went down it at least 10 times, and I have the pictures to prove it!























Now it was time for dinner, and we thought we'd try some pizza. His new friends and family joined us, and we made our way to the car to make the very short trip to Pizza Hut. I really don't think we were driving more than 30 seconds when Vanya had car sickness again! Ugh! We're still trying to work out the best meds, food/no food, long trip/short trip, without much success. I talked to a pharmacist and she recommended another brand of medicine, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

At Pizza Hut we learned that he likes hard boiled eggs (which were on my salad and of which I did not get any!), spiral macaroni salad with Italian dressing, but no olives-- that's my boy! and the sausage from the pizza. The waitress brought him 2 types of soups to try: broccoli cheddar and tomato basil. He sort of liked the broccoli cheddar and made the funniest "yucky" face when he tried the tomato basil. Hmmm. . . maybe not my boy-- I love tomato anything!

And, no puking on the way home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!! :-)


No comments: