Friday, April 17, 2009

The first real delay in this process! :-(

Tim left me a message at home this morning: they did NOT get the visa today! Huge bummer!!!! This now means they will not be able to obtain it any earlier than Tuesday because of the Orthodox Easter holiday on Monday. Next week's schedule now looks like this: Tuesday afternoon- receive visa; Tuesday evening- board train for overnight trip to Kyiv; Wednesday morning- arrive in Kyiv and get a medical exam for Evan. This could take one day or two depending on who knows what or why; Wednesday or Thursday get passport and go to the US Embassy for the last paperwork; most likely fly home on Friday. Thursday is Evan's 10th birthday, and we were REALLY praying hard that they would arrive home that day. It sounds like it will be Friday instead. Ugh, ugh, UGH!!!!! I know we've been so blessed with an easy time compared to SO many other families, but I think for me it's hardest because I am not there with my guys! (Or is it because I would want to be beating down doors wondering why the various officials aren't hurrying things along?!?!?!?)

And, to top it all off, Tim said that Odessa is a fantastic place. More people who speak English, more food choices, great apartment, neat shopping, and lots to sightsee. Where they are right now is right on the Black Sea. I wish I could be there to see it!! He promises that he's been taking pictures often and is writing in the journal.

Seems Tim and Evan are getting along fine without me (hmph!) Evan likes the Leapster games I sent as well as the travel Simon game. He's been coloring in his dinosaur book and even named some of them after an extended family member or two! Tim discovered he really doesn't like pizza! How can this be?!?!? We took him to Pizza Hut last summer, and he didn't like it; we assumed it was an American food thing. However, Viktor and Tim took him to one in Odessa, and he didn't like it then either. Guess the economy is going to be a little hurt without our weekly contribution to the area pizzerias! (Ruth, I'll be over for Papa Johns soon!)

I'll be in Grand Rapids this weekend, so I won't be able to post anything again until maybe Sunday night. Thanks, as always, for your wonderful emails, calls, and blog comments. They've all been so helpful throughout this journey.

5 comments:

Carla said...

Kathy
Thinking of you guys! Hope this is the only delay they encounter! You have done such an awesome job on this blog. What an incredible journey you are on! Can't wait to meet him!
Carla

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the three of you. Thanks for all of the great updates. We're praying for a smooth week ahead with all of the paperwork.

Laurie Harmon

Michelle said...

ooh Kathy...we are feeling so bad for you. The delay is bad enough and then add on you are not there and then the birthday, you have ever right to be mad, it stinks!
And yes your mommy instinct is right to want to knock down a few doors to get things moving...so as hard as it is try to be happy they are having some great guy time together...they are going to love sharing everything with you when they get home.
Praying for all of you and safe travels too.
Love The Burgs

Unknown said...

Kathy,
I love the pics of the three of you! He'll be here before you know it!

Ruth :)

Humphreys Family said...

We have to agree with Tim, Odessa is a great city. Very nice to hear of that all places, Tim and Vanya have been stuck there!

These delays can drive one crazy! We are praying for a speedy return.

Love the picture!