Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Tall Tooth Tale (or story to be shared with Evan at a later date!)

Evan was happily munching on a raw carrot tonight when all of a sudden he said, "Mom, look!" And, in his hand he was proudly holding a tooth! His mouth was full of blood, and he was grinning from ear to ear. I am so used to seeing my little first graders happily showing me their toothy grins, but I really wasn't prepared to see Evan lose a tooth. We went to the sink, rinsed out his mouth, and spent some time looking at both the tooth and the new hole in his mouth. Then he strutted outside to tell Tim all about it.

I then asked him if they have the Tooth Fairy in Ukraine. He looked at me with a puzzled look, and I explained as well as I could about how we have to leave his tooth under his pillow and then the Tooth Fairy would leave him some money. Evan was already pretty excited about the whole Tooth Fairy thing, and then when I told him he'd get money, boy, I think I saw his eyes double in size!!!

So, then tonight we went through our nightly bedtime routine, and I had almost shut Evan's door, when I remembered that we needed to put his tooth under his pillow. I told Evan to hold on while I went into the kitchen to fish it out of the small paper cup of water I had placed it in. I can't find it, and I learned that Tim had thrown out the water (and the tooth!) into the sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently he didn't realize that I put it there! He tried reaching into the sink/disposal without luck, so we quickly ran outside to the backyard to find a small pebble or something to put in the envelope as a decoy. Of course, we cannot find a pebble small enough, so I frantically tell him to get one of the peas out of a pea pod. I throw one into the envelope, lick it, and run back to Evan's room where he'd been waiting. I then had to come up with something fast, so I said, "Ok, your tooth is in this envelope, and we need to put it under your pillow. The Tooth Fairy will NOT come and leave you money if you look at it, touch it, or even think about it!!!! Promise????" Evan promptly promised, and under the pillow the tooth went. WHEW!

So, who's coming over to try taking the envelope out and replacing it with money????? Yeah, I didn't think so! Someday Evan will look back on this and laugh; RIGHT?!?!?!?!

5 comments:

Lynn H said...

Best story EVER! I can't believe you put a pea in there!

Michelle said...

Ooh this is a great story! I can tell already that you guys are going to have lots more to follow.
So the blood did not surprise him at all?

Dorothy-Life With Boys said...

And so begins the lying!!!! Just hold tight, you'll come up with some whoppers that'll top this one. Though props to you for thinking of the pea as a replacement!

Anonymous said...

I have a tooth story, too. The family all went to Bandido's. While there, Kole lost a tooth. He thought it was pretty cool. He's never had issues with blood and seems to have a very high threshold for pain. We, too, asked if there was a Ukranian Tooth Fairy. Kole explained to us that he had to throw his tooth over the house for good luck. He tried to throw it over our house when we got home but didn't make it. I guess he didn't get the good luck. Since, he has been to four dentist visits in June and July. The first dentist, in my opinion, didn't want to deal with him and the unknown of a different language and culture. So, we won't be going back to that dentist. She referred him to a pediatric specialist who of course charged more and did more. He extracted two baby teeth. I thought they would come out on their own eventually, but he insisted it was necessary. Kole seemed to enjoy the gas, which the dentist also recommended, but Kole chewed his cheek after the second visit. We convinced him not to for the third visit (for two fillings). Anyway, I asked Kole if he brough with him his two extracted teeth from the dentist. He said he hadn't and was somewhat disappointed about missing out on the money.

Speaking of tooth fairies, though, I have another story to share. After church, Kole seemed upset. Someone at church had felt compelled to give Kole $20 after church and tell him that God loves him. We have not been able to explain much about God and Jesus to him yet. Kole told us that his birth mother explained good and evil to him as a little angel and a little devil sitting on a person's shoulders. Kole said he knew of Santa but knew he was a fake; he could tell he had a fake beard on. When I insisted that God was real, Kole pointed here and there and asked where God was - was he here? Was he there? The more I learn about Kole, the more intellectual he seems to me. He is able to tell me how to solve simple engineering problems, his math skills are more advanced than his educational level, and his approach to the supernatural is very logical. This is going to be a tough one for me - how to explain God to a child so firmly attached to the corporeal world. Jefferson Hunt

Melissa said...

So hilarious...good, quick thinking on your part!