I worry that he will be scared to ask if he doesn't understand something, that he'll get his feelings hurt because someone doesn't understand his accent, that he'll mess around at lunch and won't have time to finish his food, that he won't find a friend, that he won't attempt to try something because he's never done it before, and on and on. . . But, I'm trying to have faith that he's going to be just fine and that I'm just a big ol' worrywart, just like my mom. I discovered that a teacher friend of ours has a son who will be in Evan's class. She quickly assured me that her son would be more than happy to lend Evan a helping hand these next few weeks until he figures out the routine of an American school. That takes some of the worry away.
I guess I'm also thinking I wouldn't be worrying so much if I didn't have my own worries about starting at a new school and grade. Kindergarten is going to be a big challenge for me this year, and I just really need to get some sleep. Many, many hours trying to get my room ready, get 21 kids screened before school starts, an Open House for parents this past Monday, and of course, trying to figure out what to do with the kids the first week of school. Most people have absolutely no idea what teachers do to start a school year, and if you saw my to-do list, you'd understand why phone calls and emails from friends/family haven't yet been returned these last two weeks. Lots of craziness in our home and at school.
Well, hopefully by the weekend, I'll have an update for you on how the first 3 days of school went for Evan (and me!) Pictures too, if you're lucky!!!! :-)
2 comments:
Looking forward to hear about Evan's first few weeks of school. He'll be fine, Mom, I promise!!!!!
Kole has never said he's been mistreated at school and his school has very little diversity. He does, however, about daily, say he hates school. I think he is reacting to routine and being told to do what he doesn't want to do. He doesn't want to line up or sit down and be quiet. What kid does? But, he is doing amazingly well. He gets very good grades in math, an international language. 1+1=2 no matter where you live. He also got a 100% on the last spelling test I saw a grade for. I think that in itself is amazing. He barely speaks the language and yet can get a 100% on a spelling test. I will never again accept "I can't" or "It's too hard" from a native English speaker about a spelling test. We went to Grabill Country Fair yesterday and met up with my college-age daughter. She hadn't seen Kole for a while. The first thing she said about him was that he has changed so much, meaning his English is so much better. His vocabulary is huge for a second grader. I mean, he uses big words. Some words like lantern and gravity still dumbfound him, though. Otherwise, he can easily make himself understood. I think socializing or fitting in to the mold has been hardest for him. However, he doesn't let it bother him. He still laughs out loud whenever he feels like it. Jefferson
Post a Comment