Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hello! Remember us???

Let's see if I can catch you up on all the fun we've been having this summer:

The Monday after school was out, we took Evan to Putt Putt for an afternoon of miniature golf and arcade games. The back 9 showed him no mercy, and he had to settle for third place in the family rankings. We bought a few extra games, so I guess we'll have to take him back soon so he can improve his rank.

We've had lots of visitors-- even some from out of state and country. My friend, Michelle, and her daughter, Sarah, drove up from Cincinnati to visit us over Memorial Day weekend, we had the chance to see our friends who live in Slovakia, and my sister and nephew have been down from Michigan a few times. Car sickness still plagues Evan ever so often, but we've been to Michigan three times in the last month, and he only was sick once!

Other summer activities so far have included attending (in no particular order) a TinCaps baseball game, swimming in pools and lakes, visiting (3 trips) the Fort Wayne Childrens Zoo, the first time sleeping overnight- at Tim's sister's, planting a tree, driving Grandpa's tractor, piloting a pontoon boat on Lake James, attending a wedding, watching TinCaps and 4th of July fireworks, splashing around at Buckner Farm Park, sleeping on an air mattress at my sister's, sliding on a Slip N Slide, watering our flowers and the garden, meeting a lot of Mom's high school friends, building a sand castle, learning the alphabet/sounds/counting to 100/handwriting/reading, visiting the library, eating lots of ice cream, going to birthday parties, playing with Teagan, going to the movies-- one in 3D!, meeting a ton of my relatives at a family reunion on my dad's side, discovering sparklers, letterboxing with my sister and nephew in Grand Rapids, and in his spare time: coloring, building with Legos, Magnetix, and Knex, and playing with his Leapster2. Just a kid being a kid!

The best part is seeing ordinary things through the eyes of a child who hasn't seen some of these things, EVER! One of my favorites was the TinCaps baseball game when he saw fireworks for the first time in his life. I just sat and watched him most of the time instead of the fireworks! Swimming has to be one of his all time favorite activities. He's even happy playing in Teagan's little pool in the backyard. I can't wait to take him to the Big Lake- Michigan! The first time he was daring enough to go down the slide into the pool at a friend's house was priceless. He loves to observe something first and then he'll try it. One of my favorite expressions of his is "Ok, I'll try!"

He won't be happy later in life when he reads this, but he just eats up the hugs and kisses. I was a little worried that he wouldn't be affectionate after being in orphanages his whole life. I worried for no reason! We can even be in public, and he'll say, "MOM! Where are my kisses?!?!?!" Well, I am more than happy to oblige that request. We have a whole bedtime routine that includes dancing, reading, and tons of hugs and kisses. He tries to think of new ways each night to get even more hugs and kisses. He is such a happy-go-lucky kid, and we are so blessed to have him in our lives.

He's been getting taller all summer long! AND eating everything in sight. I've told this story a few times, but for those who haven't heard it: There were coupons from the Sunday paper on our kitchen table. Evan saw one particular page and said, "Hey, Chuck E. Cheese!" I said, "Now how do YOU know about that?" TV, of course! Well, Evan doesn't like pizza-- we've been at Pizza Hut, Oley's, and some others in Ukraine too, and every time he thumbs his nose at those choices. I told him that Chuck E. Cheese only serves pizza. His reply? "Ok, I'll try it again!" So, we got Papa Johns one night-- just cheese on one half for him. The verdict? "This is good!" Ha!!! After Tim and I laughed, Evan said, "Ok, Chuck E. Cheese???" and we said, "NO!" Some things just take extra time to work up to as a parent!!! :-)

Evan is a great help around the house. He can fold clothes better than Tim, makes his bed (and usually ours) every day, feeds both the dog and fish, unloads the dishwasher, vacuums, waters the flowers and garden, keeps his room and bathroom spotless, sweeps up branches and grass, and his personal favorite-- picking up Teagan's "waste" in the backyard. Remember that comment about child slavery??!?!?!?!?!? hee hee!

His English is really coming along. Tim has been in DC for Coast Guard stuff this week, and the other night, while on the phone, Evan told him about our day. When he was done and passed the phone to me, Tim commented that he understood pretty much all of it! He picks up the funniest things, and almost everytime, I just have to ask if he's learned something from me, someone else, or TV. :-) Yesterday we were in the car, and he said he doesn't like "slow down" songs; he likes the "quickly" songs!! He rarely says anything in Russian anymore. We borrowed a book from the library that was written in Russian. In May he could read the whole thing but was not able to tell us what anything was in English. Now, for the most part, he can read a Russian line and then tell us what it means in English. He's very excited to start school next month and was especially delighted to learn that he would not be sleeping at school like he did in Ukraine. I'll be taking him to school in the morning, and then Tim will be picking him up each day. This way, we can avoid the whole potential bus sickness with the stops and starts!

Some things we have planned for the remainder of the summer are visits to: Tim's brother in Illinois with a side trip to St. Louis, Indianapolis to see friends who just moved there as well as a child from Evan's orphanage who now lives there, an Ohio zoo-- either Columbus or Cincinnati, and hopefully Lake Michigan. I am really hoping Evan and I can even attend the Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven, Michigan-- Coast Guard City, U.S.A!!!! Tim will be out of town that weekend, so we'll see if we actually make it there on our own. I'll be packing up my classroom this week in anticipation of moving to a new school and grade. Evan should be a great help with this.

As you can see, it's been a busy summer this year! Here are some random summer pictures. . . Enjoy!













































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Pictures and videos. Our son is progressing about the same. I have been trying to teach him at home over the summer (Wilson Reading if you are familiar with that). The issue I run into is that Kole has learned to sound out most any word - as long as it fits the patterns he's learned - but he doesn't necessarily know what the word means. I remember the word "pan". He didn't know what a pan was. Otherwise, after having attended only part of first grade in Ukraine, He does very well at everything. Kole can at will count and change money and tell how many of what coins equals how much. He is very good at math. However, he says he doesn't like my school, he wants to ride the bus to school. Anyway...Kole also gets most of his English from TV. With our other children, I always tried to get them away from TV; With Kole, TV is actually educational. Otherwise, Kole loves swimming. We've adopted two puppies he likes very much. Some of Kole's history says he used to hang out with dogs more than people, so I try to watch his interactions. He is not in the least afraid of a dog. We've also been to the 4-H fair and he's not afraid of any of the animals there, either. In September is the Bluffton Street Fair. It is a blast. It has rides; Evan may not enjoy them, but it also has food and games and tents of things to buy and parades and other entertainments. It's similar to the Auburn fair. I also want to take him to Grabil and Johnny Appleseed to see some of the folk reenactments. This Friday, we are going to Indy to see our Ukranian facilitator and hopefully some of Kole's friends from Ochakiv. Jefferson Hunt

Chris Hamilton (aka- Moomey) said...

What a great update, pics & videos! I especially like the swimming one :) He's a boy after our hearts- water, sunglassess... sounds like he'll be ready for a visit to see the Hamiltons in NC - we'd love to have you all for a visit!!! Boy- I can't believe how much you've done in such a short time. I'm SO excited for you & how everything is fitting into place perfectly! XXOO Hugs to y'all (you like that?, had to toss a little southern charm in there for you)

Anonymous said...

We took Kole to the Indy meeting for the Ukranian facilitator Tatyana and her daughter Val. I was very reluctant to go - 2 1/2 hours on the road - each way - just for the chance for Kole to get together with someone he might have known (or liked) from Ukraine. But, we went. And, I am glad we did. While in Ukraine, the facilitator called America so Kole could talk with a boy from the same orphanage who had been adopted the same year (2009). And, he was there. I think they were both very glad to get to see one another. We are trying to make plans to get together. And, it seems, their native language is still up there in their heads and flowed like they had been speaking it most of their lives. :) Hey, maybe we'll see you at Grabill or Johnny Appleseed this year?! Jefferson Hunt